Notebooking for Field Trips

by Jimmie Lanley on May 18, 2011

notebooking field trip things

Goodies from a Trip to NYC & Philladelphia

When we go on a field trip, we always come home with a plethora of brochures, post cards, maps, and pamphlets. I usually ask my daughter to use those items to create a field trip report for her notebook.

That does two things.

1. It gives them a place to be stored rather than cluttering up the house.
  2. It provides a way to review what we learned on the field trip.

For our recent trip to New York City and Philadelphia, I set my daughter loose with all we had collected, some page protectors, cardstock, and basic school supplies (glue, scissors, etc). She organized all our materials, planned how to arrange them on the notebooking pages, and wrote notes about what she saw.

cutting out pictures

Of course, she doesn’t use everything that we bring home. She gets to decide what are the best materials to include. Some duplicate pamphlets or maps can be cut apart to provide pictures for embellishing pages. (Everything else goes in the trash to reduce clutter.)

Do you ever use notebooking after a field trip?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

kathy bamlan May 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Great idea!!!!

Mary May 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Well — I think we just might now! We went on a great field trip today to a natural history museum and my daughter brought home all kinds of pamphlets, etc…

Once again — THANK YOU!

Nadene May 19, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Sometimes these pages are the best treasures of trips and travels! Along with one or 2 photos, some notes and maybe a few items found or collected, the page tells a whole story! Although we don’t officially scrapbook, our pages have many scrapbook elements and we love looking through them even years later!
Hope Sprite enjoys revisiting her notebook pages!

Kristy May 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I love this! This would be great even for those who don’t notebook all the time.

Pamela May 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM

We love creating notebooks as a way to record our learning adventures, and as you mentioned, it is an especially great way to use all of the brochures we accumulate while traveling.
On a recent 5 week journey, we created a log book where each of us took turns recording pages about the places we had visited. It is always interesting to see what each person gains and remembers from the same trip.

Penny June 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM

What a great idea! My daughter would love this as she loves crafts and scrapbooking. Thanks for the great idea!