Game Board Templates

by Jimmie Lanley on January 13, 2012

I am always amazed at how simple games make homeschool so much more fun. I have taken “boring” review questions or tough math problems and presented them in the format of a card game or a board game and received praises for being the coolest mom ever. Games really work.

If you need a nudge, though, here are some free printable board game templates. They are purposely simple so that you can adjust them to your needs. Fill in the squares (or lilypads) with special directions or questions. Make matching cards. Use your imagination. Better yet, hand the template to your child and let her make a game. This is a fantastic review activity for a lesson or unit study.

There is a two page layout of the same game board for a longer game. Just print the two pages and attach with tape in the center.

And here is a frog and lily pad themed game board.

As always, I love to hear when you use the free printables from The Notebooking Fairy in your homeschool. Let me know how game day turned out. If you send me photos of your personalized board game, I can feature you in a Show Off post.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Eddie January 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Thanks so much, Jimmie! I have been searching online and doing a fair amount of under-the-breath muttered grumbling about the lack of game board printables in the last couple of weeks. This is very timely and I appreciate it.

jimmie January 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Fantastic! I’m glad it was just in time for you!

e-Expeditions January 14, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Love this! Thanks you. :)

Samantha Moore February 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Love all yhe wonderful ideas. This is our 2nd year homeschooling. I tried using a booklet program last year, and it just didn’t work for us. After spending the summer doing research, we decided to use some of the Charlotte Mason Method. His retention is so much better than just reading and testing. Love the dame boards and the combo of notebooking and lapbooking. Thanks for sharing!! Love your ideas and how they get us thinking and doing!

Yolanda January 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I think these are GREAT! My 7 year old has been asking for more games during his homeschooling
day. Sadly, it says there is an error each time I try to download. Any suggestions?

Beth February 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I use your templates all the time in my classroom! The kids love to make games to take home and play with their parents. I will be presenting a workshop about using games to teach literacy and numeracy. Can I share your templates?

Jimmie Lanley February 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Sure, Beth. Will you be sending them to a link or providing printed copies? Either way is fine. My URL is printed on the bottom of the pages. As long as that is in tact, I have no problem with it. (And of course, these are free. Not to be sold.) If there is any online coverage of the event, I’d love to see it. Photos? I’d love to add them to the post.

Jackie March 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Wow Jimmie … it’s Jackie from Upatoi! I found this website and I’m using this in my classroom! I’d love to get an email from you … hope all is going well!