Vocabulary Notebooking Pages

by Jimmie Lanley on May 16, 2011

These free printables are really graphic organizers to use with the study of new vocabulary words or roots. I designed these to be used with grades four and above.

There is room for these facts about your selected word:

• meaning
  • example phrases or sentence — write your own for maximum learning benefit
  • picture or cartoon to illustrate the word
  • a breakdown of prefix, root, and suffix — fill in as applicable
  • other forms of the word — adjective, noun, verb, or adverb forms
  • synonymns
  • antonyms
  • part of speech

This layout focuses on a single root. This page has room for

• what language it comes from, usually Greek or Latin
  • its meaning
  • an icon or symbol that represents the meaning (get creative)
  • example words using the root (I recommend you highlight the root in each example word.)

As always, I love to hear when you use the free printables from The Notebooking Fairy in your homeschool. If you send me photos, I will feature you in a Show Off post.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

sara July 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Farewell to the Vocab curriculum. This is perfect – thanks so much!

Deanna October 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM

This worksheet is awesome! I homeschool my hi func autistic 13 yr old and we are using your sheet (the top one pictured here) daily! He reads outloud (right now from a DK volcano book) and when he gets to a word he does not know, he writes it on your sheet. When he gets to 4 words, he stops and looks in the dictionary to fill out the vocabulary sheet. If we are out and about he uses Spellingcity.com (on my phone).

I just wanted to share how we use this sheet and say thanks for making it!!

jimmie October 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I am so encouraged that you’ve found the page helpful. And I also appreciate your getting specific with how you use it. That is sure to help other moms.

Tricia puritz June 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

This is a great sheet. What would you suggest if you have a list of 15 spelling/vocab words?

Trish July 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I have the same thought as the other Tricia :) I was thinking of printing the template on 5×8 index cards and giving each kid a bag or ring. We use Wordly Wise and take two weeks to go through each 15-word section. I was thinking we’d do the cards during Daily 5 – kids decide how many to do per day, as long as all are done by the 2nd Friday…

It’s a great template – I’m looking forward to using it with my 4th graders!

Laura August 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Absolutely awesome vocabulary sheet! Well done and thanks for sharing your remarkable talent.

Mrs. Garcia August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I love your vocabulary page. Thanks so much! I am also a new and soon to be faithful follower.

Tambra November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thanks so much! I have been trying to figure out what to do for vocabulary for my 6th Grader. You have provided the answer! Thank you so much for sharing your creations!