Vocabulary Notebooking Pages

by Jimmie Lanley on May 16, 2011

These free printables are really graphic organizers to use with the study of new vocabulary words or roots. I designed these to be used with grades four and above.

There is room for these facts about your selected word:

• meaning
  • example phrases or sentence — write your own for maximum learning benefit
  • picture or cartoon to illustrate the word
  • a breakdown of prefix, root, and suffix — fill in as applicable
  • other forms of the word — adjective, noun, verb, or adverb forms
  • synonymns
  • antonyms
  • part of speech

This layout focuses on a single root. This page has room for

• what language it comes from, usually Greek or Latin
  • its meaning
  • an icon or symbol that represents the meaning (get creative)
  • example words using the root (I recommend you highlight the root in each example word.)

As always, I love to hear when you use the free printables from The Notebooking Fairy in your homeschool. If you send me photos, I will feature you in a Show Off post.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

sara July 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Farewell to the Vocab curriculum. This is perfect – thanks so much!

Deanna October 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM

This worksheet is awesome! I homeschool my hi func autistic 13 yr old and we are using your sheet (the top one pictured here) daily! He reads outloud (right now from a DK volcano book) and when he gets to a word he does not know, he writes it on your sheet. When he gets to 4 words, he stops and looks in the dictionary to fill out the vocabulary sheet. If we are out and about he uses Spellingcity.com (on my phone).

I just wanted to share how we use this sheet and say thanks for making it!!

jimmie October 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I am so encouraged that you’ve found the page helpful. And I also appreciate your getting specific with how you use it. That is sure to help other moms.

Tricia puritz June 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

This is a great sheet. What would you suggest if you have a list of 15 spelling/vocab words?

Trish July 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I have the same thought as the other Tricia :) I was thinking of printing the template on 5×8 index cards and giving each kid a bag or ring. We use Wordly Wise and take two weeks to go through each 15-word section. I was thinking we’d do the cards during Daily 5 – kids decide how many to do per day, as long as all are done by the 2nd Friday…

It’s a great template – I’m looking forward to using it with my 4th graders!

Laura August 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Absolutely awesome vocabulary sheet! Well done and thanks for sharing your remarkable talent.

Mrs. Garcia August 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I love your vocabulary page. Thanks so much! I am also a new and soon to be faithful follower.

Tambra November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Thanks so much! I have been trying to figure out what to do for vocabulary for my 6th Grader. You have provided the answer! Thank you so much for sharing your creations!

Angeles May 2, 2014 at 6:59 AM

I’m a Secondary Teacher in Spain. I love your vocabulary card.

Lindsey loo August 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM

This is great! I am definitely going to use this template! Thanks so much!

Rachel Lyon August 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Thank you so much! I plan on using this with my third graders.