- in Math , Printable Pages by Jimmie Quick
Solving Math Word Problems Notebooking Page
Solving math word problems is tough! Kids have to read the words and then figure out exactly how to set up the calculation:
- what steps are necessary
- in what order to solve the steps
- what functions to use (addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc.)
Then, of course, they have to do the math and evaluate their final answer with estimation skills. (Does this answer even make sense?)
When you first decode the language of math, it’s easier to solve word problems.
- For example, you know that when you see words like both, together, and in all, you need to ADD.
- When you see keywords such as decrease, difference, and fewer, you know you need to SUBTRACT.
- When you read ratio, per, or goes into, you know there’s DIVISION happening.
This free math notebooking printable can serve both as a math lesson and as a math reference when solving math word problems. Use the blank versions in the PDF to fill in all the words associated with different mathematical operations. Then use your notebooking page to help you solve a few math word problems, maybe highlighting the keywords as you find them and identifying them on the notebooking page.
Click the thumbnails or here to download the free PDF of six printable math notebooking pages.